The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Men's Hats

What is about a fedora that's so beguiling? I mean even if you don't wear hats at all, I'd bet you'd stare at this hat for a long while and think of all the men, movie stars and people you know, who wear them and look great in them. Then you think of how you and your friends might look in 'em. That just might invite laughter, but that's the whole point. I love how a topper as simple as this is about the past, present and future all at once. It's kind of god-like in that respect. I don't think it's everlasting though, as hardy as it might appear. Hats do get old, they die, but hardly ever get buried. They get dismantled. First, they get handed down to the kids for playtime activities so they can wear them in shows they put on. Then they are smashed in a box with some other woolen items, where they get munched on by moths. Depressing, I know. Finally, they might be resurrected again for sale in a thrift store. Holes, bent bent and all, someone just might buy them or start anew at Optimo Hats or Linda Campisano Millinery.
What would you do if you had the chance to buy a cute, but mishaped old fedora?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home