The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Thursday, November 30, 2006

So It's
Not Red...



At least it covers the head in a furry warm playful way and it captures the feel of the extra furry hat on the cover of Selvedge. And best of all - bidding starts at $9.99 and ends in a few days from now. It could be in your cold hands by next week when you really need it. I've got two 1960s hats like this - they kind of remind of those worn by Julie Christie and Geraldine Chaplin in Dr. Zhivago. They're really fantastic for those days you don't want to wash your hair because these chapeaux resemble extensions, infinitely more cool, cheaper than the variety concocted by Jessica Simpson and her hair stylist Ken Paves. Personally I wouldn't want to mess with clipping one of those synthetic thingies to my head, not now in cold Windy Chicago. You'd lose those locks attempting to cross the street. "Whoa - there goes my hair!" Can you imagine someone chasing after an extension in a snow flurry? Eew. Talk about better things to do.
No, this kind of hat is a much better way to create Big Hair ala Diana Ross in Mahogany. It will not keep your face dry on those horizontal sleet days, I'm afraid. It will simply keep your head heated, and people will smile at you all day. You'll look like a kid ready to climb a snow mountain, especially if you're wearing a puffy jacket.
If you must keep your face dry (Really, what's a little moisture? Heck, it's free unlike those pricey products that promise the same on the shelves at Walgreens and CVS.) you're
going to have learn how to wind your scarf around your neck artfully to keep your blush and mascara from melting off. I've tried, and the Wind still tries to make off with my scarf. One day, when it's not too frigid, I'm just going to make Old Lady Winter happy. I'm sure she's got a collection of outergarments somewhere on the planet, don't you think? Tell me about your favorite winter hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home