The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Not Quite
The Easter
Parade...



...especially when I saw all the ladies and young girls not wearing chapeaux today at church. I felt heartbroken. Here I was the only female wearing an Easter bonnet (the hand-crafted strawberry cocktail hat in the above photos) in a sacred place filled with hundreds. I saw more than a few wee things dressed in springy dresses. I had t0 wonder what would it take to go one more yard and wear a hat? I know, I know: a right-minded mother who's clued into the importance of this tradition. But clearly that's not happening at this moment. So I had to carry on and show how it's done! I did bring a camera to church, but I didn't feel like taking any photographs once I discovered that my young nieces weren't there....only my youngest brother. Now I love my bro', but I was really look forward to the reaction of my older brother Doug's daughters, especially the middle one in her adorably scratchy voice, "Are you wearing a strawberry on your head, Mary Beth? That's so funny." So I had that in my mind - the delight of one 5-year-old child - as I ventured into the cold onto the train to Mass. So when my dream wasn't realized, I didn't bother to record History, namely the one woman who wore a fashion hat to Saint Mary of the Angels church 8 a.m. on April 9, 2007. Whatever. I even put on my practical shaggy suede spring green hat on the way to the parking lot. It was like Fantasy Kaput, job done, time to go eat breakfast!
More on the fruity concoction in another post. And yes, I did make it. If Easter is an important day in your life, was it filled with hats, yours or others? I'm hoping so....

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Adorable! You GO, Girl! It's sad that so many women have given up hats - especially since so many secretly love them. Your leadership will give others courage to do the same. Bet you see more next Easter. Kate Q:-)

P.S. Mine was one of only 2 hats at our cathedral on Easter too.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I was one of two adults in hats at our church. Two little girls were in straw hats, and one little girl wore rabbit ears.
I was the ONLY one in gloves. Sad, sad, sad. My daughter in San Diego gleefully tells me at the contemporary huge church she attends there were 8 ladies in hats. If So.Calif is wearing hats, then there is a sign of hope. As SoCalif goes fashionwise, there goes the country.
You can pop by my blog and see my Easter hat(s)

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home