The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Deco Deluxe?
You Decide.

This hat has a certain bravado about it. I picture on it on a muscular shortish guy wearing a white cotton short-sleeve button-up shirt or t-shirt, pair of dungarees and gently worn brown leather oxfords or maybe Chuck Taylors. I just love the silky bias-cut striped trim around the crown. It reminds of the 1950s cotton Wright's bias tape I bought at a vintage show. It had that same pattern but in a grey, pink and white colorway. So pretty, so spring. I stitched it 'round and round a cotton crochet hat I made from a 1940s pattern. It looked cool, but the stitching nor the ribbon wouldn't stay put. It was so frustrating because the hat looked grand on my dressform but the trim got wiggly once I put it on my head. I think it's still on there, and I refuse to toss it, because heaven's sake the trim is more than 50 years old. They don't make stuff like this any more. I will recycle the tape if necessary on a pocket, collar or sleeve. Maybe my trim needs something more solid to adhere like this straw hat pictured above. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

It's St. Patrick's Day...where is the green on your blog???

>>>>>>PINCH<<<<<<

10:43 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I'd add a very big - huge - pink or red rose and wear this for Derby Day!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home