The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Cute
Overload?



I want to thank you all for voting in my Shall I Change My Blog's Name poll. Your vote is very important, something that I think about late at night, just before I afix my Frownies on my forehead and hit the pillow. It's likely I will change my weblog's title and the banner, but it might be a little while for I make the alteration. I need to do all this rejiggering on another computer with the proper software. So stay tuned. I know it's not quite the drama of American Idol or even Dancing with the Stars, but what can I say?
Here's a new pattern for your consideration. It's by Sally Victor, who apparently was a big-time milliner in the 1950s. I sometimes see her hats at vintage shows, but rarely in a pattern. This particular Vogue pattern reminds me of the bubble skirts that are all the rage now. It's the ripply brim, which is exactly what you're seeing in those abovementioned garments. At least that's what I see. If I were to make this hat, and you know it would be easy-peasy, I do it in silk shantung. I know that fabric fades easily, but who cares? A little swath of this material isn't going to cost you a fortune. And it will look so stunning! I could picture this hat with a sheath, or even a bubble skirt? How would wear this topper if you were so inclined?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

I have several Sally Victor hats. They are all very small so all I can do is display them, but they are gorgeous.
Check out this link:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/printout/0,8816,892459,00.html

5:27 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

ladygrande, I saw that article when I was looking up Sally Victor. She sounds like an amazing milliner.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home