The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Monday, April 02, 2007

6 Days
To Go


Even though I'm having issues with a hat big enough to cover a patch of hyperpigmentation on my face, a large picture hat is not what I have in mind for Easter. That holiday is all about little and adorable - little girls in bonnets, chocolate bunnies and jelly beans. Right now I have a hard time thinking about wearing a broad-brimmed chapeau in church; it's not conducive to looking around to see what ladies are wearing a hat on this day. I usually see maybe one or two women wearing hats; they're usually outnumbered by their nine-year-old counterparts. Just that thought alone has me feeling a little competitive. I was thinking about making a dress, but if I'm going to give my hands some business it should really be a hat. Yet I feel like I'm missing the proper coat - I no longer own my cream wool princess overcoat. Ugh! It went with everything. This makes it really difficult to come up with the proper headwear because my garments need to match.
Which brings me to this cocktail hat above, for sale on eBay. How many of you have ever bought a vintage topper online? I must confess I never have. I like to try on my headgear. I once bought a pair of shoes online, even today they're a bit tight on me. I do it again since I've read return policies have improved - now if they don't fit you can often return them free. Can you imagine doing that with a hat?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ShannonAnn said...

I've just bought my first vintage hat on ebay. I'm expecting it this week. I'll let you know how it goes- since you asked.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I've bought several hats on ebay. Some have suited me, others were smaller than I had expected. I don't think you could go wrong with this one though. It's a beauty!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I've been buying vintage hats on Ebay for about five years. As Jill says, vintage hats are usually small. I can't wear most of mine, but this size of hat usually will fit most ladies. I have a red and black one similar to this that I purchased at a Victorian Elegance show in Richardson some years back. I just love it! Suits long hair and short hair.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home