The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Got Gimp?
(And that's not Gump.)


We're not talking Forest Gump, but gimp, a rayon-covered crochet thread. You've seen it in purses. Compared to regular sewing thread, gimp looks thick and hearty. Like it wouldn't snap if you pulled on it. That's why it's such a great material for handbags and clutches which can get a lot of wear and tear. As much as you've seen gimp in accessories, you'd be hard-pressed to find it in a hand-craft store such as Michael's, Hobby Lobby even a Jo-Ann Superstore. It just isn't readily available to the home hobbyist. I've found my gimp (mostly the vintage variety) on eBay. Spools and spools of the stuff from the 1930s. Here's a contemporary source of the thread. Apparently you can dye it. I had no idea. I've made (and unmade) an 1930s purse from my gimp. It was really pretty, but I wasn't getting the gauge I wanted so I undid my work. It's still sitting in my closet waiting for another project. Next time I might try a hat, perhaps from a pattern such as the one above. It wouldn't long even though you're working with a small hook. Little projects like hats go quickly.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home