The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

What Type of Hat Am I Thinking of?



It's angular with a short brim, a typical hat silhouette in the 1930s. It kind of looks like something Robin Hood would have worn. What do you call this type of chapeau? It's bugging me badly because this is the topper that would look best with this dress/coat ensemble I saw last week at the Midwest Vintage Clothing sale in Elgin. Something that picks up what appears to be cranberry-colored trim on those gargantuan self-buttons on the dress. It even looks like there might have been a matching hat originally. That's how it was back then - everything was so matchy-matchy. You could buy a hat, purse, and shoes all made with the same fabric! Anyhow, someone help me with the name of the hat for this outfit. I will search the Internet and beyond for an answer. To think I've got a hat like this in black velvet sitting in a box in my closet and I still cannot find the drawer in my brain labeled "Names - Hats." Help!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Or one of the "doll" hats??

12:58 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Sorry for the multiple "comments", am new to this blogging thing - maybe a fedora? Have other ideas, too. Love this hatting thing.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

Now I'm thinking 'tyrolean-style' hat, ladygrande. This hat has a bit of Austrian feel to it. It was quite popular in the 1930s...

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home