The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Mystery Poster



You cannot believe where I saw this incredible vintage poster. In the women's bathroom, of all places, at the aforementioned Fashionistainc.com
event at a loft not too far from Oprah Winfrey's Harpo studios. Yes, this piece of artwork which looks it harks from the 1920s or 1930s, was perched over the loo in the ladies' room. I was so enchanted by it that I had to take more than one photo of it. This was actually the best thing about the event - and there was plenty of eye-candy clothing and complimentary appetizers to go around. I just wasn't that jazzed by the participants in the silent auction that night: Vika Brown, Kim Duff, Orlando Espinoza, Evil Kitty (I love that name), Maria Pinto, Breathe, Habit, Koros, Michelle Tan, and Samantha Chicago. Their dresses were nice, but nothing to write an email home about save for this Hart, Schaffner & Marx poster. It was full of mystery, unlike the designer frocks, which had tags listing their price, origin, and just about everything you wanted to know about the person who dreamed up this ensemble. Not the artwork. Not a note of provenance to be found. Where was it discovered? How old is it exactly? Why is it in the bathroom with other old prints? If I email Hart, Schafferer & Mark the images could they tell more about the handsome men in it? Such is the stuff that keeps me awake at night, long after I've tucked my fabric swatches under my pillow for sweeter dreams. Do you have any interesting vintage posters that intrigue you?

1 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

Randolph Scott, Cary Grant, Errol Flynn come to mind......Thanks. Love the poster.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home