The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Forever Plaid

I know, I know. I've already have written about plaid. But I've got more to add. I didn't full disclose my plaid past. No, I wasn't a used car salesman with a plethora of jackets in the abovementioned pattern (do they even dress like that anymore? Or is that just a stereotype leftover from the 1960s and 70s?). I dressed in a plaid uniform for six years. And I'm still normal. Hah! Actually, I wore a chocolate and cream houndstooth pleated skirt for two years in junior high. Then in high school, I donned the same cranberry plaid A-line skirt for four years. Yes, five days in a row, 9 months out of the year, freshman through senior year. I'm embarrassed I didn't at least have another identical skirt in my wardrobe. You can imagine that thing was quite bedraggled by the time graduation rolled around. I was so glad to be done wearing it. My classmates autographed it, and the skirt promptly disappeared into the I-don't-want-to-remember-high-school hole. I think that particular piece of apparel became friends with the garbage can.
For years afterward, I hated the color brown. I couldn't look at it, and refused to buy any clothes with that hue. Now I actually like it. As for plaid? I don't have much of it in my wardrobe - but I did have a nice 1940s slate-and-putty tartan jacket until about a year ago. Once the lining started falling apart, I gave it to Columbia College's study collection. I'd add this 1940s dress to my already full closet but it's too big for me.
How do you feel about plaid? Is it like remembering a nasty sunburn?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home