The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Victoria Magazine
Returns!
(and other
good stuff)


If you're one of those magazine junkies who have long mourned the demise of Victoria Magazine, well, here's some good news! Victoria Magazine returns to the newsstands in October!
For those of you not familiar with this classy publication, Victoria Magazine was the epitome of elegance. It had NO articles on sex. Virtually every outfit was tasteful but beautiful. Even my mother, who is known for ripping out what she considers racy newspaper ads, loved it! I do swear (although I doubt the editors would) there were hats in virtually every issue. It was like the Kentucky Derby 12 times a year! My friend, milliner Eia Radsavljevic, had her hats in Victoria when the Millinery Arts Alliance was at its peak. As a matter of fact, that's her work on my head in the picture above. I wore this navy straw-and-netting number downtown yesterday for an interview. My photographer said, "You know your hat is over one eye?" Precisely! Why do photogs see this as a flaw? The one documenting my brother's wedding made me push back the white straw br0ad-brimmed hat I was wearing so he could see my eyes. That photograph sits on my desk. Every time I look at it, I grimace because I despise how my hat looks like it's ready to fall off my noggin. Don't photographers like a little mystery in their work? I'd really love some feedback on this issue (tilted hats) so if there any shutterbugs out there I'd love to hear from you.
And the other news? Eia sent me an email alerting me to the School of the Art Institute's Fashion Department exhibit at Macy's State Street store beginning Thursday. Since Eia teaches at the School, there should be plenty of chapeau on display.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger mamafitz said...

oooh, i loved victoria magazine (i think i still have a bunch in my attic). i'll have to remember to look for it this fall.

i don't like hats pushed up on the back of the head. if the photographers want to see your eyes, can't they shoot the photo from below eye level?

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home