The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

What Hat I Want to Be Wearing When I'm Discovered...
Actually, I like to think I'm already discovered...by me. That's the most important find, don't you think? Who cares if an agent chases you down while you're crossing the street, or encounters you while you're in line at the bank (Charlize Theron) or hanging out at the drugstore (1940s starlets), or nowadays shrieking on YouTube (Lonelygirl). Isn't it good enough just to be able to look in the mirror and say, "You...you're a star"? I'll bet a handful of almonds it does.

But my bag of Trader Jo's almonds is almost empty (or should I say it's 1/8 full?). As much as I'm really big on not relying on other people to validate you, I have to say I'm enchanted on how this girl was discovered by the Sartorialist. I daresay it's because of the hat she's wearing. She wouldn't have stood out otherwise. She'd just be another stylish local. When I was in the Big Apple recently I wondered how to catch the Sarto's elusive attention. As it was, I was too busy inside to spend that much of it outdoors which is where this popular fashion photographer spends his time capturing his subjects on film. But if I had my druthers (and I often do) I'd wear something playful, something not too serious. A chapeau that I could continue to wear if something awful happened in my favorite Eastern city (and you need to prepared. A tornado could blow through Manhattan.) I don't think you could go wrong with a cocktail hat. Something with veiling though to give it mystery. Netting is so alluring, glamorous and incomprehensible to the average passerby. Not to Sarto aka Scott. If you were anywhere near his radar, he'd snap your photograph in a New York Minute. I'm thinking an apple-themed hat would be perfect to wear. Maybe even with a faux worm hanging off of it. I'd stitch it myself, of course. What hat would you wear in New York City?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

I agree. If she had not been wearing that hat, she would not have received a second look --- well not one that would have required she be featured! The proper (or even at times improper) hat always makes a great fashion statement. Hats On!!

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home