The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Capelet Now

Yes, it's the capelet now as opposed to yesterday or in the Future or on Anna Wintour's body. I'm not sure why I care about this cape. I think it's the print. I just adore how the pattern looks like it's been pulverized in a Cuisinart, enlarged on a Photoshop screen and then put through an electron scrambler of some sort. Whilst I'm searching for the wool version, I could even come to love a jersey knit with this kind of a jumbo Walmart-sized design. Alas, what's in the fabric store closest to me only has a super-soft knit with a mice-sized tooth print pattern in chocolate brown and sapphire blue. I still might acquire it since I love that colorway; it's very fall, which feels far away - especially considering that downtown Chicago's Outdoor Film Festival doesn't even start 'til Next Week! I've yet to barely make a dent in sewing all my summer play clothes (yes, I'm going to climb in the Elm trees just like the Von Trapp children in The Sound of Music). I even picked (and then put down) yesterday the latest Knit1 magazine featuring a thick wool hat in Sherbert Orange. I love the aforementioned hue, but only the icy edible one appeals to me right at this moment. I can't even think of fiber in that colorway for the Season in which leaves drop to the ground. Speaking of cool foods, I've actually got a summer cotton in what I'll call Dreamsicle with bits of white white chocolate nubs on it. I've at least five yards of it - a good thing considering how narrow it is. I think it's from the 1930s or 1940s since it's narrower than my hips. But I don't see it (the textile, not my hips) as retro - I see it as a Maxi halter style dress not unlike the Simplicity Threads pattern that's somewhat popular. I'd pair that cloth with some floaty white gauze with an ethnic orange print from Metro Textiles. I think that would be comfy and stylish for when Someone Upstairs Decides to Return Illinois to the Front Burner. That's not to say I wouldn't buy that Houndstooth if it knocked me down while I was surfing the Internet or some such thing, but I've got to live now not for some chilly day in late September, don't you think?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Great capelet! It cries out for a hat too. That sherbert orange wooly sounds tempting but for later. I also love that color. I'm working on an orange and pink batik hat which I will post soon as I finish it.

Will keep an eye out for your houndstooth (dogtooth) but probably won't find it in this little town. A great excuse for a trip to Milano.

As for the name, we should sic Erin of dressaday on that one. Don't you think?
K Q:-)

2:48 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Duh! Didn't think to check Wikipedia this morning. Look here for name provenance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houndstooth

K Q:-)

9:52 AM  
Blogger Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Nordies new catalog is all about capelets.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home