The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

All Buckled Up
And Ready to Go.


I'm very happy to report that the knitted blue-sky cotton top is done and I'm wearing it Right Now with my chartreuse assymetrical skirt. I cannot believe I finished knitting something that is not a poncho or a skirt (both the same thing, really, worn on different parts of the body.) And this top wasn't so very hard. I finished it in about three weeks. A record for me. I cannot even read books that fast anymore. They're due back in the library before I've even completed the first chapter.

I would say the most challenging part of this sweater (not pictured today) was the ribbing at the hip. I had to reconfigure that with the helpful owners of Arcadia Knitting. That done, the p1, K1 went really, really quick. I'd make this particular piece of apparel again if I had an Ace Elf to do the job. Otherwise, I think I'll move on, like to finishing my black batiste blouse or even starting another knitted item (probably a skirt that's made in the round. I'd really like to make something that doesn't need to be mattress-stitched together. There's a cheerleading skirt from Blue Sky Alpaca that I might try).

In the mean time, I'm getting ready tonight to talk vintage wedding dresses. I was supposed to give this talk a month ago, but the air-conditioning went kaput and so did my speaking engagement. Now the cooling equipment is back in gear so is my old-fashioned slide show. The challenge for the next couple of hours is to think about bridal attire, and not the heat that beats at my window. So with the ceiling fan spinning lazily above me, I'm going to prep myself for this discussion about wedding veils, gloves, top hats, coats, bridesmaids, World War II gowns, etc.

With a little luck, at least one representative of my family will show up to hear this interesting lecture. I figure I can count on the ghostly presence of my grandparents.

Until I upload a picture of me in my latest creation, here's my H&M hat embellished with vintage bark cloth and a 1930s buckle. What do you think?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger mamafrog said...

So how about posting your talk and pics on wedding dresses? I love vintage clothes? Nice hat, btw.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I wish I could attend your talk. I grew up in Glenview and love sewing vintage clothing. I really miss Vogue Fabrics, but not the heat and humidity of the Chicago area.
Wendy in NM

5:55 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

wendy - the library looks exactly the same but not for long. They're building a brand-new building. I'm kind of attached to the current one since I practically grew up there, inhaling all the books in the children's section. As for Vogue fabrics, have you considered ordering over the phone? I did that while I lived away for a while....

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home