The Sewist

I sew, knit and crochet hats. (Not all at the same time. Whaddaya think I am - a machine?)

Monday, July 31, 2006


Pork pie vs. Fedora

It would seem quite odd that a dictionary that was last copyrighted in 1966 would not have definitions for a fedora or a pork pie hat. I know the millinery industry was floundering by that time thanks to John F. Kennedy (didn't wear a hat to his inauguration) and his wife, Jackie (didn't want to mess up her hair with the aforementioned). Still you would think a Webster's Dictionary from this time would still have entries for these words. We're talking about a tattered tome that I use when I'm too lazy to log onto the Internet. For crying out loud, I was able to find definitions for a porkpie hat (:a hat with a low telescoped crown, flat top, and flexible brim) and a fedora (:a low soft felt hat with the crown creased lengthwise) at Merriam-Webster Online. I don't believe the hat on this young fella shown above is a pork pie, judging from its definition. I'm not sure what it is. It is definitely a vintage straw topper, according to its young owner. This teenager says it was his grandfather's. I love the bias-cut, muted plaid trim around the crown. I don't see many young teenagers sporting hats, but when I do, I'm thrilled. How would this guy look in a cap? Tell me you what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home